Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
This is a part-time position to provide instructional expertise in the fields of writing and literacy. All candidates must successfully complete the Invitational Summer Institute (SI) in accordance with the National and California Writing Project models (128 contact hours).
Overview of Responsibilities:
After completion of the SI, San Diego Area Writing Project (SDAWP) Writing Instructor/Teacher Consultants provide instructional expertise in the field of writing and literacy for K-University class teachers and K-University students in the service region of San Diego county. Instruction includes professional development courses and workshops offered for educators and/or Young Writers’ Camp classes during the summer and academic year. Writing Instructor/Teacher Consultants are responsible for planning and developing appropriate curricula in writing and literacy related to ongoing and developing programs in collaboration with SDAWP director, program manager and other Teacher Consultants.
Instruction includes professional development courses in writing and/or Young Writers Camp classes. Instructors perform other duties as related to programs in collaboration with the SDAWP directors, program manager and other SDAWP writing instructor/teachers consultants, such as:
• Planning, developing and delivering writing and literacy instruction and assessments;
• Consultation and coaching with partnership schools to facilitate professional development courses/programs, series or institutes;
• Developing and revising course curricula for all professional development courses/programs, series or institutes;
• Evaluating, analyzing, and revising course offerings and curriculum as needed;
• Providing written evaluation of course offerings for teacher research, qualitative assessments, and requests for proposals (grant requests);
• Participating in various SDAWP continuity events, research and special projects.
• Candidates must have a Bachelor's degree
• At least 5 years of teaching experience K-University
• Successful completion of the Invitational Summer Institute
• Extensive and deep knowledge of the teaching profession and writing/literacy pedagogy and instruction
• Pedagogical knowledge and experience with the principles of education research, social justice standards, and demonstrated leadership capabilities.
This position may require occasional weekend/evening meetings or classes and the ability to attend off-campus meetings in San Diego and Imperial counties.
This position is subject to the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) requirement. Appointees must sign forms and acknowledge that they are a "mandatory reporter" as specified by California Law.
To apply to this position go to https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01769.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Contributions to diversity letter - Please describe any teaching strategies you currently use or plan to use to foster a diverse and inclusive learning experience, and to enable all students to excel and fully participate in the learning process.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents