Assistant Teaching Professor
(Lecturer with Potential Security of Employment)
Dept. of Physics, UC San Diego
The Department of Physics within the Division of Physical Sciences at UC San Diego (UCSD) (http://physics.ucsd.edu/) invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Teaching Professor position. Faculty in the Teaching Professor series are Academic Senate members whose expertise and responsibilities center on undergraduate education, as well as the scholarly analysis and improvement of teaching. All positions are subject to availability of funding.
The Department is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. Successful candidates will be judged on scientific background and teaching accomplishments, as well as on potential for leadership in areas contributing to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on the University of California pay scale.
We are seeking outstanding teachers who wish to have a permanent, full-time instructional position on an academic-year basis. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute in the following domains:
• Teaching of truly exceptional quality; emphasis on large-enrollment introductory laboratory and lecture courses.
• Professional achievement and activity; such as developing curriculum, using instructional technology to enhance student learning, awareness of developments in pedagogical methods, advising members of the department on pedagogical techniques and course content, and contributing to efforts to secure extramural funding for educational program development.
• University and public service; such as participating in campus and departmental committees, student outreach and recruitment, and providing academic advice relating to student affairs.
• Educational leadership beyond the campus; such as active participation in conferences and workshops, development and sharing of materials, developing/training effective teaching assistants.
Candidates must have a Ph.D. in physics (any area) or a closely related scientific field, a record of excellence in teaching, and strong writing and interpersonal skills.
Review of applications will commence on December 4, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. Applications should be submitted online at:
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a synopsis of teaching experience/philosophy and professional goals, recent teaching evaluations, and a separate statement on past experience and leadership in equity, diversity, inclusion and/or proposed future contributions (see http://facultyexcellence.ucsd.edu/c2d/index.html for further information and specific examples). Candidates must also arrange to have three to five letters of reference that address teaching, research, and professional service posted to the above website.
For applicants interested in spousal/partner employment, please visit the UCSD Partner Opportunities Program at https://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/aps/partneropp/index.html.
UC San Diego is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence and diversity (http://diversity.ucsd.edu/). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Recent Teaching Evaluations
Statement of Teaching Experience/Philosophy/Professional Goals
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our Faculty Equity site for more information.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 letters of reference required