The Chinese Studies Program (http://chinesestudies.ucsd.edu/) within the Institute of Arts and Humanities at UC San Diego is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, student body. Applications are being accepted for full-time and part-time lecturer positions in Chinese language starting July 1, 2018. Appointment(s) may be part-time, full-time, quarterly, annual, or biennial, with the possibility of renewal based on performance and funding availability.
• Applicants must have an M.A. or higher degree in linguistics, Chinese language, foreign language pedagogy, and/or other language education-related fields.
• Qualified candidates must have native or near-native proficiency in Mandarin Chinese and English. With strong oral and written communication skills in both languages including writing in Traditional and Simplified characters.
• Five years of experience in teaching all levels of Chinese language courses at the college level.
• Ability to plan and implement creative, hands-on and engaging lessons at various levels.
• Experience training and supervising graduate students as teaching assistants in a Chinese language learning environment.
• Expertise in Chinese customs and culture.
• Effective use of technology for teaching, student projects and documenting curriculum is preferred.
• Commitment to student-centered and multicultural education.
• Knowledge of effective techniques for classroom management
• Knowledge of evaluation and assessment of student progress.
The successful candidate is expected to work with existing faculty members to design and develop content-based courses, thematic-based courses and/or Chinese language for special purposes courses. We welcome applications from those who demonstrate strong or potential accomplishments in areas contributing to diversity, equity and inclusion, and a desire to play a leadership role in advancing UC San Diego’s commitment to achieving excellence and diversity.
Salary is commensurate with teaching experience and is based on University of California salary scales.
Applications will be accepted electronically at https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01608. Please submit a CV, course evaluations, and a teaching statement. Please describe any teaching strategies you currently use or plan to use to foster a diverse and inclusive learning experience, and to enable all students to excel and fully participate in the learning process.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Course Evaluations - Course Evaluations
Statement of Teaching
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our Faculty Equity site for more information.