The Neurobiology Section in the Division of Biological Sciences at UC San Diego (www.biology.ucsd.edu) invites applications for a Teaching Professor position at the tenure-track Assistant Teaching Professor level. Faculty in the Teaching Professor series are Academic Senate members whose expertise and responsibilities center on undergraduate education, as well as the scholarly analysis and improvement of teaching.
The incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to teach undergraduate courses for Biology majors, including a new neurobiology laboratory course with a substantial electrophysiology component, and physiology lecture courses. The incumbent will also advance science education through professional activities such as research in science teaching methodologies, initiating new teaching methods or courses, participation in writing textbooks and/or creating on-line teaching materials. We are especially interested in candidates who have created or contributed to programs that aim to increase access and success of underrepresented students and/or faculty in the sciences and/or have well developed plans to accomplish such goals. The successful candidate will serve as an educational leader at the Division and campus-wide level supporting student success and teaching innovation.
All candidates must have earned a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Biology, or a related field, and have substantial experience and achievement in neurobiology, which should be documented and explained in the application. In addition, the successful candidate is expected to have:
• College-level teaching experience, with demonstrated success teaching undergraduates. Candidates should demonstrate knowledge of and/or experience employing instructional strategies tied to contemporary research on the science of learning (i.e., evidence-based teaching);
• Knowledge of and/or experience in professional activities that advance science education beyond a single institution, such as development of a research program investigating the science of learning and teaching related to the applicant’s area of expertise;
• A commitment to equity and inclusion in higher education. Ability to address the educational and academic needs of a diverse student population, including developing effective teaching strategies for the educational advancement of students from groups who are underrepresented in higher education;
• Potential to serve as an effective leader in the educational program of the Division of Biological Sciences.
The Division of Biological Sciences at UCSD is a vibrant center of scientific discovery, innovation, and collaboration. Our large research base spans many areas of biology and is complemented by highly ranked educational programs at both undergraduate and graduate levels. We are committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on University of California pay scales.
Initial review of applications will commence Oct. 23, 2017 and will continue until position is filled.
Applications must be submitted through the University of California San Diego’s Academic Personnel RECRUIT System at https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01534
Further details about the required application material can be found at: http://biology.ucsd.edu/jobs/apply-lrf-lsoe.html
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated CV
Neurobiology and Electrophysiology Experience - Summarize your training, experience and achievement in neurobiology and electrophysiology, 1 page maximum
Statement of Teaching - Describe prior teaching experience and teaching philosophy, 1 page maximum
Statement of Science Professional Activities in Science Education - Current or proposed professional activities advancing science education beyond UCSD (e.g. science education research), 1 page maximum
Statement of Contributions to diversity - Describe past experience and leadership in fostering equity and diversity and/or potential to make future contributions. For information, see: http://facultyequity.ucsd.edu/Faculty-Applicant-C2D-Info.asp and http://biology.ucsd.edu/diversity/index.html
Teaching Evaluations (Optional)
Publication 1 - Include a short description of your contribution and its relevance to this position
Publication 2 - Include a short description of your contribution and its relevance to this position
Publication 3 - Include a short description of your contribution and its relevance to this position
- 3-5 letters of reference required