The Chinese Studies Program (http://chinesestudies.ucsd.edu/), the Institute of Arts and Humanities and the Department of History within the Division of Arts and Humanities at UC San Diego are committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, student body. Applications are being accepted for one full-time Unit-18 Lecturer position for the Chinese language program. Primary duties for the instructor position are modern Chinese courses at various level as assigned. Employment start date is July 1, 2016, however the fall quarter begins on September 19, 2016 and the candidate must be available to participate in training prior to the start of the Fall Quarter at UC San Diego. This employment opportunity is for a one year appointment but may result in a renewable appointment at UC San Diego.
• Applicants must have an M.A. or higher degree in Chinese language pedagogy or relevant fields.
• Qualified candidates must have native command or native-level speaker in Mandarin Chinese and English. With strong oral and written communication skills in both languages including writing in Traditional and Simplified characters.
• Extensive experience as a language instructor at a college level is required and the ability of teaching all levels of Chinese language courses. With a preference to candidates that have five years or more of experience teaching Mandarin Chinese at the college level, which can include time as a teaching assistant.
• Expertise of Chinese customs and culture.
• Ability to plan and implement creative, hands-on and engaging lessons at various levels.
• The ability to supervise and train graduate students as teaching assistants in a Chinese language learning environment.
• Legal authorization to work in the U.S.A. and/or eligible for a visa to work in the U.S.A.
• Effective use of technology for teaching, student projects and documenting curriculum is preferred.
• Commitment to student-centered and multicultural education
• Knowledgeable of effective techniques for classroom management
• Knowledge of evaluation and assessment of student progress.
• The preferred candidate will have experience or a willingness to participate in teaching, mentoring, research or service towards building an equitable and diverse scholarly environment. And overall demonstrated strong leadership in an academic setting.
• The successful candidate is expected to have worked with existing faculty to design and develop content-based courses, thematic-based courses and/or Chinese language for special purposes and will continue to do so as a member of the Chinese Studies Program.
Applications should be submitted to the UCSD on-line application collection system, via AP-On-Line Recruit.
The deadline to apply is March 6, 2016. Review of applications will commence on March 7, 2016.
Documents Required from the Applicant:
• A cover letter stating qualifications for college level Chinese language instruction
• Curriculum vitae
• A video recording that is 5 to 10 minutes long of the candidate speaking in Mandarin Chinese. Self-introduction, where candidate makes a statement of teaching pǔtōnghuà to college students. Candidate should share own background on Chinese language pedagogy. Submit video or voice recording via the AP-On-Line Recruit website within their application.
• Three letters of recommendation uploaded via the AP-On-Line website by March 6, 2016
• Review of the Contributions to Diversity statement within the online application, where the applicant will submit a written statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion and/or plans to make future contributions. For further information about contributions to diversity statements, see: http://facultyexcellence.ucsd.edu/c2d/index.html
Deadline to Apply: March 6, 2016
Appointment Start Date: July 1, 2016
Fall Quarter Instruction Begin Date: September 19, 2016
Salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on University of California pay scales.
Application materials must be submitted online via AP-On-Line Recruit: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01022
UC San Diego is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. The position is covered by a Bargaining Agreement.
Cover Letter - Stating qualifications for college level Chinese language instruction
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
A video recording that is 5 to 10 minutes long of the candidate speaking in Mandarin Chinese - Self-introduction, where candidate makes a statement of teaching pǔtōnghuà to college students. Candidate should share own background on Chinese language pedagogy. Upload video or sound recording here.
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our Faculty Equity site for more information.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 letters of reference required