Sixth College, at UC San Diego, is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body.”
Sixth College (http://sixth.ucsd.edu), the newest of the six undergraduate colleges at UC San Diego seeks an outstanding educator to serve as Associate Director for Art and Technology and to teach upper-division courses in public rhetoric and practical communication.
Under the general direction of the Director of Academic Programs, the Associate Director for Art and Technology will work with the Associate Director for Writing, Associate Director for the Practicum, faculty, college staff, and teaching assistants (TAs), and other program partners to promote student learning and innovative pedagogy in the Sixth College academic programs in Culture, Art, and Technology.
The Associate Director for Art and Technology will help faculty and TAs to implement innovative teaching methods, practices, and tools designed to develop student understanding and to integrate art and technology as powerful expressions and instruments of culture. In addition, this director will ensure that visual, media, and information literacy are effectively addressed within the curriculum and that the college's digital literacy plan is embedded within the college's program in such a way that it supports the mission of the college and our student learning goals, including the goals of the embedded composition program.
The Associate Director for Art and Technology is also responsible for increasing the visibility and understanding of the program on campus; helping to formulate and implement the strategic vision of Sixth College academic programs; developing learning objectives and assessing program effectiveness; promoting student involvement in college and campus arts, programs, and events, such as ArtPower and Arts6; serving as liaison with campus arts programs including campus Art Gallery, La Jolla Playhouse, etc.; and obtaining extramural funding.
Sixth College aims to prepare its students to become effective citizens of the 21st century who are innovative, interconnected, and aware. Our academic programs emphasize both traditional and new media literacies and work to build communication skills across academic disciplines and to the general public. In the Culture, Art and Technology sequence, our students learn the innovative interdisciplinary approaches that they will need in a rapidly changing world. Our Practicum requirement promotes civic engagement and global consciousness. These themes are built into our extra-curricular and residential programs and are expressed in the activities and traditions that have already grown up here at Sixth. The UCSD college system provides undergraduates with small living and learning communities within the larger research university, and the core curriculum provides the academic and thematic foundation for Sixth College. Further details can be found at http://sixth.ucsd.edu/about.
• Ph.D. or M.F.A. with relevant background
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work well in team-oriented environment
• Evidence of creative accomplishment and of ability to inspire creativity in students
• Excellent writing skills
• Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills; ability to plan, prioritize and keep multiple projects/tasks moving forward at once
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and professionally with faculty, staff, students and others from a variety of disciplinary orientations and diverse cultural backgrounds
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective, creative working relations with community groups, technology centers, or arts organizations
• The ideal candidate will have strong demonstrated accomplishments in areas contributing to diversity, equity and inclusion, and a desire to play a leadership role in advancing UC San Diego’s commitment to achieving excellence and diversity.
• Background in digital rhetoric, multimodal rhetoric, or the digital humanities.
• Experience in curricular planning and development
• Ability to implement meaningful assessment systems for instruction in and with digital composition, art-making, or other forms of hands-on learning with media
• Strong digital and multi-media communication skills
• Experience obtaining extramural funding
• A background working with interdisciplinary programs and/or interdisciplinary graduate work
• Knowledge of research about how students learn in higher education
• Experience in developing innovative, media-based pedagogical tools and strategies
• Experience with the use of multimedia technology in education
• Experience with web technologies and standards
• Experience in teaching at the four-year college level.
• Experience in teaching large classes (over 100 students) is especially desirable, as is experience teaching in a research university.
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching
- Teaching Evaluations (Optional)
- Writing Sample (Optional)
- Personal Statement summarizing contributions to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion