Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Division of Biological Sciences at UC San Diego (www.biology.ucsd.edu) invites applications for Teaching Professor positions at the tenure-track Assistant Teaching Professor level. The incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to teach undergraduate courses for biology majors. Candidates with research backgrounds in any subfield of biology will be considered; we are particularly interested in candidates with significant experience in bioinformatics, biostatistics, computational biology, molecular biology, and/or fostering equity and inclusion and student success in undergraduate science education programs. In addition to teaching and service, the incumbent will also advance science education at UCSD and beyond through professional activities such as conducting and disseminating pedagogical research in science teaching methodologies.
All candidates must have earned a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Biology or a related field (at the time of application) which should be documented and explained in the application. In addition, the successful candidate is expected to have:
• College-level teaching experience, with demonstrated success teaching undergraduates. Candidates should demonstrate knowledge of and experience employing instructional strategies tied to contemporary research on the science of learning (i.e., evidence-based teaching);
• Knowledge of and/or experience in professional activities that advance science education beyond a single institution, such as development of a research program investigating the science of learning and teaching related to the applicant’s area of expertise;
• A commitment to equity and inclusion in higher education. Demonstrated ability to address the educational and academic needs of a diverse student population, including developing effective teaching strategies for the educational advancement of students from groups who are underrepresented in higher education;
• Potential to serve as an effective leader in the educational program of the Division of Biological Sciences.
The Division of Biological Sciences at UCSD is a vibrant center of scientific discovery, innovation, and collaboration. Our large research base spans many areas of biology and is complemented by highly ranked educational programs at both undergraduate and graduate levels. We are committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on University of California pay scales.
Completed applications received by October 28, 2019 will be assured of consideration.
Further details about the required application material can be found at: http://biology.ucsd.edu/jobs/apply-lrf-lsoe.html
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching - Describe prior teaching experience and teaching philosophy, 1 page maximum
Statement of Science Professional Activities in Science Education - Current or proposed professional activities advancing science education beyond UCSD (e.g. science education research), 1 page maximum
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See http://facultydiversity.ucsd.edu/recruitment/contributions-to-diversity.html and https://biology.ucsd.edu/diversity/faculty-expectations.html for more information.
Teaching Evaluations (Optional)
Publication 2 (Optional)
Publication 3 (Optional)
- 3-5 letters of reference required